Swim Lesson Scholarships
Tukwila Resident Scholarship
Tukwila Pool wants to ensure all Tukwila Residents have access to swim lessons. The pool’s scholarship program is funded annually with the intention of reducing economic barriers for Tukwila Residents / Students to participate in all levels of our learn-to-swim program.
ARC Centennial Campaign Scholarship
To mark a century of swimming safety education, the Red Cross is partnering with Tukwila Pool to help prevent drownings. The scholarship program helps reduce economic barriers for families to access our beginner learn-to-swim programs (the ARC Scholarship does not cover our advanced level classes: Short-Fin, Long-Fin, and Mako Sharks).
Email your completed Scholarship Request Form and all supporting documentation to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Tukwila Pool wants to ensure all people have access to swim lessons, programs, and aquatics activities. The pool’s scholarship program is funded annually with the intention to provide everyone the opportunity to participate in activities at the pool, regardless of income. The Tukwila Pool staff aims to create a warm, friendly environment that promotes water safety, efficient swimming technique, and FUN! Staff is here to help with the application process if you have questions or concerns.
- 2021 American Red Cross Centennial Campaign: Now available for both Tukwila Residents and Non-Residents.
The request process is as follows:
- Complete the appropriate application (see above) supply the necessary supporting documentation:
- Income Verification:
- Option #1: Go to the School District office of where your child goes to school and obtain a verification of Free/Reduced Lunch Program Participation letter OR
- Option #2: Complete the Income Verification Worksheet section of the Scholarship Request Form. In addition, provide the following documents:
- Most recent Federal Income Tax Return Form AND
- Copy of last two (2) most recent pay stubs
- Residency Verification (Tukwila Resident’s Scholarship Only):
- Option #1: Present valid picture identification with a Tukwila address OR
- Option #2: Present a current utility bill with a Tukwila address in addition to a valid picture identification
- Income Verification:
- Return scholarship form and supporting documentation to the Tukwila Pool
- Tukwila Pool Staff will review the completed form and documentation and respond to your request within 10 business days of being received.
Application Information & Policies
- Qualification is based upon Household Income Guidelines or Free and Reduced Lunch Qualification. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s current “Income Guidelines for King County” will be used as the basis for establishing the award guidelines. Additionally, students qualifying for free/reduced lunch with the Tukwila or Highline School Districts (who live in Tukwila) may automatically qualify. The table below details award amounts based upon qualifications
|Tukwila/Highline Free/Reduced Lunch||HUD Income Guidelines||Scholarship Award Amount|
|80% – 50% of Median Income||50% of program or pass cost|
|Reduced Lunch||50% – 30% of Median Income||75% of program or pass cost|
|Free Lunch||30% or lower of Median Income||100% of program or pass cost|
- Scholarships may not be available for all programs. Some programs are exempt from funding, and some programs may only be eligible for partial funding.
- Scholarships availability. Scholarships are dependent on funding availability and awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Funding is allocated annually and distributed seasonally as follows:
|Season||% of funds to be awarded|
|Winter: January – April||25%|
|Summer: May – August||50%|
|Fall: September – December||25%|
- Scholarships are limited. One scholarship per participant per season may be awarded. However, additional scholarships may be awarded at the discretion of the Director of Aquatics Operations depending upon funding availability. Only lessons continuation will be considered for additional scholarship funding in a given season. The intent of additional scholarships for swim lessons is to encourage skills competency relative to water safety.
- Additional Policy and Procedure information: Additional information can be found at www.tukwilapool.org.